Purpose, Scope, Content and Definitions
Purpose and Scope
The purpose of this directive is to regulate the principles regarding the publication of Gazi Academic View Journal.(GABD).
The purpose of GABD, is to publish scientific articles on History of Turkish Republic, History, Sociology, International Relations, Economics etc. It aims to create a common academic platform from different disciplines. In addition, it is a magazine open to scientific criticism of the previously published articles.
GABD publishes mainly scientific articles in the fields of History, also; It is an international refereed journal that also includes scientific studies in the fields of Economic and Administrative Sciences, Political Science and International Relations, Law and Communication Sciences.
This Directive has been prepared based on article 14 of the Turkish Higher Education Law No. 2547.
Articles sent to the journal;
It should carry original research-based working conditions that will fill a gap in its field, prepared using appropriate research, methods and models.
It may be research or analysis that evaluates and criticizes a previously published article, and reveals new and remarkable views on this subject.
The journal also includes research, papers, biographies, and reviews, as well as translations and book reviews that contribute to the scientific field, as well as research, papers, biographies, and reviews, where a concept or theory is discussed, criticized or explained.
In this directive;
Journal: Gazi Academic View Journal,
Owner of the Journal: Dr. Hale ŞIVGIN
Editorial Board: Faculty members working in the field of Social and Humanities,
Board of Referees: Faculty members from at least five different universities specialized in their field, having a command of the bibliography of their field and determined by the editorial board;
Editor: Faculty members to be determined by Hale Şıvgın;
Editor's Assistants: Instructors determined by the editor,
Editorial Board: It expresses the instructors determined by the editor in charge.
The boards that maintain the operation of the journal and their duties;
Editorial Board: It consists of faculty members who are specialized in in the field of Social Sciences and Humanities, have come to the fore with their scientific studies, and will be determined by the Board of Directors.
The Editorial Board, by examining the articles submitted to the journal in terms of format and field suitability, determines the experts of the article (based on theses, publications and field of expertise) in the academic community and ensures that it is submitted to the appropriate referee evaluation.
According to the reviews of the referee, it determines whether the article will be published or not, and makes the publication order of the articles accepted by the referee.
He/she decides to make a special issue.
Board of Referees: It consists of Professors, Associate Professors and Assistant Professors, who are determined by the editorial board and who work in at least five different universities.
The referees examine the submitted articles in terms of method, content and originality and decide whether they are suitable for publication.
3 Editor: The owner of the magazine is a natural editor.
It ensures the coordination between the members of the Editorial Board.
It calls the Editorial Board to the meeting at certain periods in order to make a preliminary evaluation of the articles coming to the journal.
Takes editorial responsibility on behalf of the Editorial Board.
(4) Assistant Editors: Determined by the Editor. They assist the editor in following up on technical issues and articles.
(5) Managing editors: Consists of the an editor and a lecturer, whose duties are determined by Article 5 of the Press Law No. 5187. They assist the editor in following up on technical issues and articles.
Article 6- The articles in the journal must fulfil the following criteria:
Gazi Academic View has been in compliance with the "International Refereed Journal" status since 2007; It is published twice a year, in the Winter and Summer terms. It can be published as a Special Issue if necessary. The publication of the Special Issue covering a specific subject is decided by the absolute majority of the Editorial Board.
Articles sent to the journal to be published:
Original work: A study that brings innovation to science, refutes previous theses or brings a new perspective, reveals new documents,
Review: A study that criticizes the whole bibliography and concludes it on a controversial or ambiguous subject,
Criticism of a previous study: The study that criticizes all aspects of the publication on a subject, suggests antithesis and has scientific basis,
Translation of an original study and a critical presentation of a published work or article: The journal is open to translations with academic value translated from any language to Turkish. However, on the basis of scientific criteria, it is necessary to criticize the text, not the author, provided that the personality rights are respected.
The copyright of the articles published in the journal belongs to the journal. The author acknowledges that his article, which has been approved for publication in Gazi Academic View, has transferred any copyright to the Journal. Gazi Academic View sends two journal copies to its authors in exchange for copyright. Republishing of the published article is subject to the permission of the journal.
For the translated articles sent to our journal, the publication permission of the translated article's owner is required. In addition, translation studies are sent to referee approval just like every other article.
The editorial changes and corrections that are not related to the articles content are made the Editorial Board of the Gazi Academic View.
The articles that are submitted to Gazi Academic View Journal should be screened by a similarity detection software prior to submission. Articles that are submitted to the journal first go through a general evaluation of the Editorial Board. Those articles that do not pass this first stage receive a desk-rejection and they are not sent out for review. Reasons for desk rejection can be non-compliance with author guidelines, not being in accordance with Publication Ethics or being out of the scope of the Journal. Those articles that pass the general evaluation of the Editorial Board proceed to double blind peer review. At this stage each article will be anonymously sent to two referees who are experts on the subject of the article. If both of the referee reports are positive, the articles are accepted for publication. If one of the reports is positive and the other one is negative, then the article is sent to a third referee. If both of the referee reports are negative, the article is rejected. If an article is evaluated by one or two of the referees as “review and resubmit“, then it should be reviewed and resubmitted by the authors no later than 20 days. The reviewed and resubmitted articles can be re-examined by the referee, if necessary. The articles that receive the approval of both referees as “publishable” are accepted for publishing in Gazi Academic View and the corresponding author is informed. In the event of any disagreements, the author has the right to raise an objection to the referee’s decision. It should be reached as a separate page to the editors.
The submitted articles are published with the final decision of the Editorial Board, after the "publishable" approval of the two field experts. The authors have to consider the criticism, evaluation and corrections of the referee and Editorial Board.
The accepted articles will be queued for publication and will appear in the future issues based on their submission date.
The opinions in the articles published in Gazi Academic View Journal are the personal opinions of the authors; and not binding for the journal.
A. Principles Regarding Spelling and Grammar
1. Language of publication is Turkish. However works written in English may also be published. Reductions to papers submitted to the journal are made by Vice Editors and the Editorial Board. The most recent edition of the spelling guide of Turkish Language Institution is taken into account for language use, punctuation and abbreviations. The texts submitted must be clear and understandable, and be in line with scientific criteria in terms of language and expression. The Spelling Guide and Turkish Dictionary are available at http://www.tdk.gov.tr.
2. The texts submitted to be published must be no longer than 25 pages including also the abstract and references.
3. The texts must be submitted together with the abstract no longer than 250 words in Turkish and English at the beginning of the paper, including also the Turkish and English headings for the paper, and with five key words in Turkish and in English. At the end of the articles in Turkish language, there will be a 500-600 word “Extended Abstract”.
4. Name of the author must be placed at the center in bold italics, in 10 type size; his/her title, place of duty and e-mail address must be indicated in the footnote with (*) in 8 type size. footnotes for other explanations must be provided both in the text and down the page in numbers.
5. The type character must be Times New Roman, 10 type size, line spacing single, footnotes in 8 type size and with single line spacing.
6. Articles which are not prepared according to above requirements, will be ignored.
B. Page Layout
1 Indentation must be, for the first line, 1, 25; spacing before must be 3 pt, after must be 3 pt, justified, and line spacing must be 1.
2. Page layout must be normal, page setup must be 5 cm from top, 5,5 cm from bottom, 4,5 cm from left, 4,5 cm from right, gutter 0, header 1.25 cm, footer 4,5 cm.
3. Sub-headings must be within three characters from the preceding heading.
4. Page numbers must be placed bottom right.
5. Following the first page, name of author must be provided on even numbered pages, and name of paper must be provided on odd numbered pages in 9 type size as headers.
C. Citations in Footnotes
- Book, Single Author:
Hale Şıvgın, Trablusgarp Savaşı ve 1911-1912 Türk İtalyan İlişkileri, Atatürk Araştırma Merkezi publishing, 2. Press, Ankara 2006, p.100.
- Book, Two Authors:
Bonyar Waylet-Ernest Jackh, İmparatorluk Stratejileri ve Ortadoğu (trans. Vedat Atilla), Chiviyazıları Publishing 2. Press, İstanbul 2004, p. 100.
- Book, More Than Three Authors:
Marian Kent et. al., Osmanlı İmparatorluğu’nun Sonu ve Büyük Güçler, Tarih Vakfı Yurt Publishing, 2. Press, İstanbul 1999, p. 100-102.
- Translated Books:
Bernard Lewis, Modern Türkiye’nin Doğuşu (trans. Metin Kıratlı) TTK yayını, 3. Press, Ankara 1991, p. 157.
- Books with More Than One Edition:
Ernest Edmondson Ramsaur, Jön Türkler ve 1908 İhtilali (trans. Nuran Yavuz), Pozitif Publishing, 5.Press, İstanbul 2007, p. 57.
- Books or Papers with Name of Author or Editor Non-Specified:
Tarihi Yaratan 1000 Büyük Adam, Milliyet Publising, İstanbul 1985, p.50.
- Citation to Second Resource
Ziya Kaya, title of the book, Ankara Onur Publishing, 1995, p. 24’den G. Fuller, “Eurasia in the World Politics”, Foreign Affairs, Volume 10, Number 3, June 2000, p. 44.
- Publications with More Than One Volume
Halil İnalcık, Osmanlı İmparatorluğu’nun Ekonomik ve Sosyal Tarihi (trans. Halil Berktay), V.1, Eren Publishing İstanbul 2000, p. 100.
- Paper in Compilation Books
Maria Todorova, “Balkanlardaki Osmanlı Mirası”, L.Carl Brown, compil., İmparatorluk Mirası: Balkanlar’da ve Ortadoğu’da Osmanlı Damgası (trans. Gül Çağalı Güven), İletişim Publishing, İstanbul 2003, p.85.
- Paper with Author Specified in Journals
Hale Şıvgın, “Arnavutlarda Milli Bilincin Gelişme Sürecinde Yaşanan Siyasi Olaylar”, Türk Dünyası Araştırmaları Dergisi, Number:147, December 2003, p 132-136.
- Paper with Author Non-Specified in Journals
“Balkanlarda Türk Varlığı”, Toplumsal Tarih, X/7, May 1990, Ankara p. 8.
- Papers from Daily Newspapers
Bilgin Çelik, “Balkanlarda Arnavut Sorunu”, Cumhuriyet Strateji, 24 January 2005, p.16-18.
- Paper from Internet Journal
Hüseyin Ukuşlu, “Gebze’ de Kentleşme Süreci ve Sorunları“, Sosyal Bilimler Araştırmaları E-Dergisi, III/5, number:5, period: 2006, 10 August 2007, http://www.sbe.gazi.edu.tr/edergi/sosdergi.htm, s. 100-101.
- Report with Author Specified
Fatma Gök, Öğretmen Profili Araştırma Raporu, Eğitim Bilim ve Kültür Emekçileri Sendikası Publishing, Ankara 1999, p.25.
- Report with Author Non-Specified
Arnavutluk Ülke Raporu, TİKA Publishing Ankara 1995
Report Prepared by an Institution, Firm or Institute
Dış Politika Enstitüsü, Uluslararası İlişkilerle İlgili Anayasaya Konabilecek Hükümler, Siyasal Bilgiler Fakültesi Publishing Ankara 1990, p. 33.
d. ENCYCLOPEDIA ARTICLE
“Arnavutluk”, Türk Ansiklopedisi, V.3, İstanbul 1971, pp.360-379
Dritan Egro, “Osmanlı Devletinin XIV-XVI Yüzyıllarındaki İslamiyet’in Arnavut Topraklarına Yayılması”, Unpublished Doctorate Thesis, İngilizce, Bilkent Ü. SBE., Ankara 2003.
- Web Pages of Public Institutions
T.C. Dışişleri Bakanlığı Resmi İnternet Sayfası, “Türkiye Ukrayna Anlaşması”, http://www.mfa.gov.tr/turkce/grouph/ikili/11.htm.
- Paper from Internet Journal
Hüseyin Ukuşlu, “Gebze’ de Kentleşme Süreci ve Sorunları“, Sosyal Bilimler Araştırmaları E-Dergisi, III/5, Number: 5, Period: 2006, 10 August 2007, http://www.sbe.gazi.edu.tr/edergi/sosdergi.htm., p. 100-101.
- Messages Sent to Discussion Boards, Forums etc by E-Mail
Abdulvahap Kara, “Kazak Mitolojisinin Dildeki Yansımalaları”, (Message: 25), 10 July 2007,
g. DECLERATIONS TO CONFERENCES
Dritan Egro, “Arnavutluk’ta Osmanlı Çalışmaları”, XIII. Türk Tarih Kongresi, Bildiriler, 4-8 October 1999, C.I, TTK publising, Ankara 2002, p. 14.
Alev Keskin, 1877-78 Osmanlı-Rus Harbi Harp Tarihi Broşürü, Genelkurmay Başkanlığı Askeri Tarih ve Stratejik Etüt Başkanlığı Publishing, Ankara 2000, p.7.
ı. OFFICIAL PUBLICATIONS
İsmet Binark, Balkan Ülkelerinin Tarihi Kaynakları Bakımından Başbakanlık Osmanlı Arşivlerinin Önemi, Başbakanlık Osmanlı Arşivi Publishing, Ankara 1996
i. MAPS AND FIGURES
Şanlıurfa Turizm Haritası (English), Harita, Şanlıurfa Valiliği Publishing, 1983.
Afyon Kocatepe Üniversitesi Haber Bülteni, Afyon Kocatepe Üniversitesi Publishing, Afyon 1999, p.8.
k. ARCHIVE DOCUMENTS
Archive name, collection name and code, file number or box number, document number.
BOA,Y.A.HUS, D:512, G:72, Belge no(lef):3.
ATASE, BHK, K:685, A:6-8288, D:5, Fil.
D. Principles to Abide By in Presentation of References
1. Surname of the author shall be at the beginning with capital letters; name with small letters.
2. Resources shall be presented in alphabetical order.
3. Page numbers shall be fully indicated for papers.
An example references is presented below:
ANHEGGER, Robert - Halil İnalcık, Kânûnnâme-i Sultânî Ber Mûceb-i ‘Örf-i ‘Osmânî, Türk Tarih Kurumu Publishing, Ankara 1956.
İLHAN, Suat, “Türk Çağdaşlaşması”, Atatürk Araştırma Merkezi Dergisi, VII/19, November 1990, p.7-19.
KAFADAR, Cemal, Between Two Worlds. The Construction of the Ottoman State, University of California Press, Berkeley 1995.
KARPAT, Kemal H., Ortadoğu’da Osmanlı Mirası ve Ulusçuluk (çev. Recep Boztemur), İmge Publishing, Ankara 2001.
MAYER, Kurt B. – Walter Buckley, Class and Society, Random House, New York 1969.
OLCOTT, Martha B., “The Basmachi or Freemen’s Revolt in Turkestan 1918-24”, Soviet Studies, XXXIII/3, July 1981, pp.352-369.
SANDIKLI, Atilla, Atatürk Dönemi Türk Dış Politikası Işığında Avrupa Birliği'ne Giriş Süreci, İstanbul Üniversitesi, Atatürk İlkeleri ve İnkılâp Tarihi Enstitüsü, İstanbul 2007 (Unpublished doctorate thesis).
YALÇIN, Durmuş et. al., Türkiye Cumhuriyeti Tarihi II, Atatürk Araştırma Merkezi, Ankara 2002.
E. Principles to Abide By in Using of Documents, Tables, Figures and Graphics
1. Attachments (documents), shall be presented at the end of the text and down below shall be a brief information as to the content of the document and proper citation in line with the relevant criteria.
2. Other attachments (Table, Figure and Graphics) shall be presented as Additional Table: 1, Additional Graphic: 3 and Additional Figure: 7 if indicators other than the text are too many in number; attachments shall be presented after the REFERENCES. References to these attachments in the text shall absolutely be made as Additional Table:1, Additional Graphic: 3 or Additional Figure: 7. If citation has been made for table, figure, graphic or picture, resource shall absolutely be indicated.
1. Publication Board of the Journal sends to referees of expertise in the field (three referees) the papers it has found relevant in terms of form and fields; the papers are accepted for publication with the approval of at least two referees out of the three. The papers which have been decided to be reviewed, shall be submitted by the author(s) within no later than 20 days. The revised text may be re-examined by the demanding referees if found necessary.
2. The papers submitted shall be published with the final decision of the Publication Board, following the “can be published” approval of the three experts in the field. Authors shall take into account criticism, assessment and revisions of the referees and the Publication Board. If the author has any points he/she does not agree with, he/she has the right to specify these issues in a separate page with the justifications thereof.
3. The papers, following the approval by the referees, are ordered by the Publication Board, based on dates of completion of referee reports and also based on the scope of the journal.
4. The papers submitted to the journal shall not be given back whether published or not.
5. The views in the papers published in Gazi Journal of Academic View are the personal views of the authors, and are no way the official view of the journal.